Saturday, July 17, 2010

Gas Station Bar

I have now been in Salvador for nearly three weeks. Class is intense, as an intensive course should be. Most days go like this:

7.00 Wake Up
8.00 Bus to Culture Class
9.00 - 11.20 Culture Class (taught in Portuguese)
11.30 Bus back home for Lunch
13.00 Walk to the University
14.00 - 18.00 Portuguese Class
18.00 Walk home
19.00 Dinner
20.00 - 22.00 Homework
22.00 Bed

Class is great. I am learning a lot, but the more Portuguese I learn, the more I realize how little I know. The wheather here is generally quite rainy, but when the sun is out it is beautiful.

One of the spots I frequent, when not in class, is the gas station bar. Your first impression may be that this bar must be in the building of the gas station. That assumption is wrong. The bar appears in the evening, tables are set up outside, across half of the gas station. Directy besides the active pumps. Other than the odd enviroment, the place runs very normally. There are the traditionally plastic chairs and tables and a wait staff. The bars other awesome feature is the fantastic crepes it serves. The only downside is that when you sit at the tables nearest to the pumps, the fumes tend to be overwhelming. . .

2 comments:

  1. The gas station bar sounds interesting. take some pictures! I miss you! Still waiting for Syds baby! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this is how one comments.... Got it.
    Can't wait t' see ya, but I hope your time draws itself out while you're there. The gas station bar sounds a bit like my cultural ponderances in Mexico- The convenience stores were suspiciously well-stocked with various hard liquors. Drinking culture. Huh.
    Hope you're rockin', and I'm sure you are.
    Cheggit. A couple more posts, eh, muh?

    ReplyDelete