I have successfully arrived in Salvador! It has been a busy couple of days. First was orientation and then I moved into my host home. My host family consists of a very generous mother and an aprtment building full of supportive neighbors. My host mother has been hosting students for over 10 years. She has a grown daughter and a grandson. She knows everyone, everywhere we go and our apartment has continuous visitors. The neighbor upstairs also accepted an exchange student (at the urging of my mother, I am sure). They have be co-hosting us, dinner at one apartment, and breakfast at another. The upstairs apartment is a young mother, her mother, three little girls (8, 9 & 11) and a Shitzu puppy. The little girls keep everyone entertained. They speak very quickly and I often do not understand anything they say, but they are very good about understanding me. They have been teaching me new words left and right. It is kind of everwhelming, they tend to all speak at the same time, over one another. All the neighbors are very nice and have stopped in to stay hello. I don´t have regular internet access yet, but hopefully I will be able to access the computers at school and update with regularity.
On another note, Brazil beat Chile 3-1 to secure a place in the World Cup quarter finals. In Salvador the games are broadcast on a large screen in front of the historic lighthouse. People sit in bleachers and stand outside to view the game on the screen. After the game there is a concert. I caught the end of the game at the light house - the energy was incredible. The concert afterwards was awesome. Ivete Sangalo, a world famous Brazillian singer performed. Brazil plays the Netherlands on Friday and it is sure to be a tense game.
Sounds fascinating, and I love reading your blog--with pix! Looking forward to more Brazil info as I don't know much about it. May have to visit someday. How's the weather? Will miss you in Spearfish for the 4th. Watch that traffic! Hugs, Deb
ReplyDeleteGeez, thanks for NOT sending me your blog info, Jess! It sounds like you guys are having a good time. I look forward to reading more!
ReplyDeleteWeather is super raining in Salvador right now (because it is winter) and Syd I posted about the blog on facebook! I figured you would have picked it up. Sorry!
ReplyDelete